Holiday Meals for Mainers
Last year, Maine credit unions came together to encourage people to donate $5 (or more) to help feed a hungry Mainer in their community during the holidays. In addition to raising funds for the Campaign for Ending Hunger, our Holiday Meals for Mainers initiative generated critical awareness about hunger in our communities and the role we all play to care for our neighbors in need.
To make the 2022 holiday season brighter for those struggling to put meals on their tables, we are once again coordinating this timely effort. Will you help us by making a donation to our Campaign for Ending Hunger? You can pay it forward by providing the gift of a holiday meal. Donate $5 on behalf of yourself or your family, or donate in honor of someone else. A simple act of kindness is the best present you can give.
If you need more reasons to donate, consider these statistics:
- 1 in 9 Mainers are food insecure.
- Maine ranks 14th in the nation for very low food security rates.
- Of the more than 250,000 children in Maine, an estimated 16.6 percent, or nearly 42,000 kids, are at risk of hunger. This means 1 in 6 kids do not have regular access to enough healthy food.
- 28% of Maine households headed by people of color are food insecure.
- Over 180,000 Mainers rely on Good Shepherd Food Bank and its network of partners for food assistance.
We hope you will make a donation today!